Tuesday, June 29, 2010

50 years of Marriage, Oh My!

Fifty years of marriage, HALF A CENTURY. . . Can you even imagine being married to the same person that long?  Or better yet, loving the same person that long?  In two short days, on July 1, 2010, my parents, aka "The Bickersons," will have realized this unimaginable, practically unattainable goal.

When The Bickersons first met in high school, I bet they never even imagined getting married.  Oh, I'm sure Mrs. Bickerson was like every other young, love-struck girl, who writes her name using his last name, and I'm sure Mr. Bickerson played it cool like guys usually do, when, in fact, he was probably head over heels for Mrs. Bickerson.  But whatever games they may have played, each of them knew this was the one, the one relationship that would last a lifetime. 

Over the past few weeks, Mr. Bickerson and I have been going through all the family photos, and it's been so much fun learning about The Bickersons' lives.  They truly had a lot in common: they each loved to dance, they both had great fashion sense (especially in the 1950's), they adored animals and had lots of pets throughout their lives, and they LOVED cars.   To coincide with our stroll down memory lane, Mr. Bickerson also taught me how to scan old photos, which is how this story came to life.   

A Couple that Plays Together, 
 Stays Together. . .  for 50 Years!

 The Bickersons, my Mom and Dad, circa 1960 at 
the Porsche Time Trials.  Such a cute, stylish couple.

Mr. Bickerson, my Dad, the official timer.  
Hate to say it, Dad, but with the cig hanging 
out of your mouth, it's hard for me 
to believe the "official" part.
Maybe Mom fell for that story, but not me.

Mrs. Bickerson, my Mom, behind the wheel.  
Feisty little thing!
Now I know where I get my love for cars.  
Cool helmet and shades, Mom.

And . . .

The Big Day - July 1, 1960
I love how my Mom's so casual with her arm 
draped over my Dad's shoulder.

Mom and Dad,

I'm so thankful for the time we've had together.  You have taught me a lot about true commitment, and the importance of being your spouse's best friend.  (And I finally got it right.)  Enjoy your day, and please know that if I could have July 1 changed to "The Bickersons' Day," I would.  

PS - I know tradition states that "Gold" is the gift for a 50th Wedding Anniversary, but I think in contemporary times, the gift is a Blog . . . and dinner, of course.  See ya at 6:30.

Love,

Me 
  





     

23 comments:

  1. Auntie B and Uncle R:
    We hope you look back over your years together and remember the cherished moments and best times and make your Golden (Blog) Anniversary a perfect day for you both.
    Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

    Denice & Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to both of you as you celebrate your 50th Anniversary ! It is so nice to hear of a couple that has been married for even a decade these days let alone 50. WOW ! (It must be the generation as my parents will celebrate theirs in a year and a half.) It takes true commitment to be married to the same person and go through the many ups and downs that life has to bring. Its an inspiration to all of us. I wish you both the very best as you embark on another year.

    Best Wishes,
    T.R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 50 years! I'm always amazed when I come across articles on such long and successful marriages like yours Ron and Betty and I save the stories I find. Now I can add yours to my collection. I dream of being married to Harry for 50 years....11 down...39 to go. You guys are great inspiration! We love you both, Mindi & Harry

    ReplyDelete
  4. When each of us starts out on the road to life, none of us knows where our path will take us. Therefore it is ever so sweet to know that two people not only took the right path but found happiness at the end. I hope my life is as blessed as yours, and that every day is filled with love as it appears yours is. Love is the nectar of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to both of you, loved the photos. Your daughter is one creative writer. We enjoyed being with you at Bob and Kristie's house. Bob and i celebrated our 36 years last nite and know it takes lots of love, unconditional love that is, and communication. Bob and Cece Jonsen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Betty and Uncle Ron,

    Congratulations on 50 years. Some of my favorite memories revolve around food. Aunt Betty, you make the only liver and onions that I can eat. Also the best scrambled eggs ever! I still remember when we lived with you before moving to Rosedell. And Aunt Betty picking up a group of us hitchhiking on Boquet Cyn. road. We never got away with anything!

    We love you guys!

    Diana, Jeff and Jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandma and Grandpa,
    Congrats on your 50th Anniversary and thank you for always being there for your family. You give me much to strive for! I love you so much and those pictures are freakin awesome. What a hott couple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aunt Betty and Uncle Ron,

    I don't remember going to your wedding, but according to the picture, I guess I did.

    You guys were a huge part of my growing up years. For a while you lived on the next street, then after that it seemed like we spent every weekend in Saugus. They were very good years and I thank you for them.

    Congratulations. Marge and I love you both.

    Ed & Marge

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are AWESOME!!! Congratulations on your 50 years together!!!

    Jen
    (Ashley's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a milestone! 50 years of marriage is something to really be proud of. Together you have touched many lives...friends, family, children and grandchildren! We hope you have a wonderful golden anniversary full of the best memories.

    With all our love,

    Clarice, Dave, Aidan & Liam Yager

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI RON & BETTY- YOUR A GREAT EXAMPLE OF HOW LOVE CAN MAKE A MARRIAGE LAST.I REMEMBER ATTENDING YOUR WEDDING. WE ALL HAD A FUN TIME. WE DIDN'T HAVE RICE TO THROW AT YOU AFTER THE WEDDING, SO A FEW OF US WENT TO BUY SOME. THE STORE DIDN'T HAVE RICE AND WE DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TIME TO GET BACK, SO WE BOUGHT BARLEY & SPLIT PEAS, TO TOSS AS YOU LEFT FOR YOUR HONEYMOON.ITS THE ONLY WEDDING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF THIS KIND OF SEND OFF. IT MUST WORK, BECAUSE IT'S NOW YOUR 50TH. MAY GOD BLESS YOU BOTH, YOUR FRIEND, RICHARD HAMEL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 50th grandma and grandpa!! I love you both so much. Wow grandpa, I look exactly like you in that picture with the cig.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To my other parents:
    I just wanted to tell you both how blessed I've been having you in my life. You've given me love and exceptance when no one else has. I love you both more than I can say. Happy 50th Anniversary. May the sun shine, the birds sing, and the butterflys dance for you on your day.God bless both of you.
    Love Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. 50 years!!! WOW!!!! Congratulations to you both and hope you have an absolutely wonderful anniversary! Lots of hugs and love,

    Alice Powell Forkel & hubby Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Ron and Betty! It was good to see you after 50 years when I visited California last year. I hope this wedding anniversary finds you both in good health.
    Ralph Larkin
    Class of 1957
    Culver City High School Centaurs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betty & Ron.

    Congratulations on 50 years of Love, Fun and yes the hard times they are what has made you a great couple.

    I remember that night well you were so cute and in Love as you are now.

    Love you both
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  17. In four short hours, "The Bickersons" will be reading this blog and all your wonderful comments. This post has been viewed about 90 times during the past couple of days. Wow!!! Thanks for dropping in for a quick read, and thanks to those of you who left a comment.

    I predict some serious tears will be flowing.

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. 50 YEARS!!! WOW. Congratulations to Betty and Ron. You have Janet and I beat by 8 years. Ron, I've heard you've been under the weather lately. If you need someone to cut the lawn, take out the trash, etc., let me know. I'm listed in the same telephone book you are. Janet and I wish you both warmest wishes for a Happy 50TH Anniversary. Take Care of each other, Ken Sallee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey you guys Congratulations on 50 years.

    I just wanted to say "We've been through a together & most of it was your fault" All kidding aside I am so happy for you.

    Love You
    Jimmy King

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Betty & Ron
    No gooy stuff, congrat's on your 50yh. We are 1 yr behind and gaining fast and it's all your fault.

    Love Shar & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  21. 50 years what a milestone.

    Congratulations it's been a long time but "we have been through alot together and most of it is your fault".

    Enjoy your special day,
    Love, Jimmy King

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy 50th! May you have continued happiness and good health.
    CCHS Class '57 Friend

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mom .... Dad ......

    Don't you think after 50 years it's finally time to fess up? Who was the wealthy family you abducted me from? The statute of limitations has expired, you can tell me now!

    Plus, did you ever tell Kristie about the whole (rhymes with "adoption") thing? She can handle the news, now.

    Your Loving "Son" ....

    Randy

    Anyway, congrats on 50 ..... it's been a long and interesting road!

    ReplyDelete